Peppermint Patty Cupcakes are the perfect treat if you are a chocolate lover! A chocolate fudge cake topped with a creamy chocolatey, minty frosting and a peppermint patty inside, this dessert is perfect for chocolate lovers everywhere!
You don’t need many items on hand for these scrumptious Peppermint Patty Cupcakes! I’ve adapted this recipe from Sandra Lee Magazine, and it’s a perfectly chocolatey piece of heaven.
To get the smooth chocolate tops, you dip the cupcakes into the chocolate mixture and add crushed peppermint patties to the top. This is the perfect topping for the perfect cupcake!
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1⅓ cups chocolate milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons mint extract, divided
- 24 peppermint patties ( I used the mini unwrapped ones) plus extra for garnish
- 1½ bags dark chocolate chips
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, chocolate milk, oil, eggs, and 1 tsp. mint extract. Beat on low for 30 seconds, then scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Scoop batter into muffin liners approx. ⅔ full Press one peppermint patty into each cupcake. I pressed mine too far and they were at the bottom of the cupcake. Press them in slightly and let them rest at the top.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean, approx. 23 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Put chocolate chis in a microwave safe bowl. In a small saucepan, combine cream and 1 teaspoon mint extract and bring just to a boil over medium heat. Pour cream mixture over chocolate chips until completely smooth. (If the mixture doesn't get smooth quickly, microwave on 50% power for 1½ minutes then stir. Once smooth, let mixture cool about 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Dip cupcake tops into chocolate mixture and place on wire racks to cool.
- Sprinkle with chopped peppermint patties and devour!
Are you a chocolate lover? What’s your favorite kind of chocolate? These peppermint patty cupcakes are the perfect dark chocolate treat!
Melanie works full time at Tuft & Needle and blogs part time evenings and weekends when her daughter is working on the cars with her dad!