Hi all, I’m Annie from Annie’s Noms ! I’m so excited to be contributing here at Reasons to Skip the Housework! I bake a lot!! If I’m not on Pinterest looking at food then I’m usually either making food or writing recipes so I was so excited when Melanie asked me to contribute here!
I have a great recipe for you guys today – black and white cheesecake bars.
These bars are insane! A fudgey chocolate base with a light and fluffy cheesecake filling, then they’re topped with more of the fudgey chocolate mix!
When I read through the recipe I was a bit worried about the base being hard and too like a biscuit, I knew I wanted them to be soft and fudgey. You have to bake the base first and let it cool and when I’d baked it I got even more worried about it being too hard and dry as it felt a bit over done!
Luckily, once I added the cheesecake layer and baked them again, they turned into fudgey goodness! It’s so good when a bake turns out perfectly haha!! These bars went down so well, I’ll definitely be making them again soon and I really hope you guys enjoy them too 🙂
- For the base:
- 2 sticks + 2tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⅓ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- For the cheesecake filling:
- ½ cup, heaping, white chocolate chips
- 10.5oz full fat cream cheese
- ⅓ cup icing sugar
- 1 egg
- No need to preheat the oven just yet, the base needs to chill. Grease and line a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Make the base first - place the butter and sugar into a large bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on med-high speed.
- Add in the eggs and mix until well incorporated. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda together into a medium bowl and stir until well incorporated. Add the flour mix into the wet ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Reserve a ¼ of the dough and wrap in cling film. Place in the fridge.
- With the remaining ¾ of the dough, press it into the baking pan and then place it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes. During this time preheat the oven to 325F.
- Once the base is chilled, place it in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly risen and puffy, turn off the oven and allow to cool completely before making the cheesecake layer.
- Once the base is cooled it's time to make the cheesecake layer! Preheat the oven to 325F. Place the white chocolate chips into a heatproof bowl and place over a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted, then leave to one side to cool briefly.
- Place the cream cheese and icing sugar into a medium sized bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, add in the egg and mix until well incorporated, about 1 minute on med-high speed. Add in the melted chocolate and mix on low until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture all over the base and smooth slightly with a spatula. It doesn't have to be perfectly smooth! Take out the reserved ¼ of the dough and crumble it over the top of the cheesecake layer.
- Place in the oven for 25-35 mins (it took 30 mins in my oven) until the cheesecake is just set and the crumbled topping is slightly firm to touch.
- Leave to cool completely, once cooled place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before slicing into 12-15 bars.
- Bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.