Protecting your skin is of utmost importance, especially during those hot summer months where the sun is putting out maximum power. What is the best sunscreen for you?
Choosing a sunscreen can be quite a hassle, especially if you aren’t quite sure what you are looking for.
Sometimes, you need a specially formulated blend for your individual skin needs. Believe it or not, there are sunscreens available for folks with skin issues like dryness or even being overly oily.
If you have kids you want to make sure to purchase a sunscreen that is designed for their young skin. Babies and toddlers really need protection from the sun’s harmful rays as their skin is more delicate than adults.
So, with bearing all of that information in mind, which sunscreen product do you choose?
We’ve developed this helpful list of the top 10 sunscreens of 2018 to encourage you to choose a product that works well for you. You’ll see a variety of brands, types, and formulas on this list.
We have traditional sunscreens from national brands that you know and love and brands that take a more natural approach with purer ingredients.
Need a sunscreen simply for your face? We have a few of those listed, too.
Take a moment to sift through our list and see which product speaks to you the most.
- 10. Coppertone SPORTS Continuous Sunscreen
- 9. Sun Bum SPF 50 8oz Lotion + Face Stick SPF 30
- 8. Badger SPF 35 Clear Zinc Sport Sunscreen
- 7. Bullfrog Water Sport Lotion SPF 50
- 6. Safe Sea Anti-Jellyfish Sting SPF 40
- 5. Nurture My Body All-Natural SPF 32
- 4. Little Sleepy Head Natural Daily Sunscreen
- 3. Cortex SunX SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelettes
- 2. Banana Boat Sunscreen Sport Performance
- 1. Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen
- Hacks For Reminding Yourself To Add More Sunscreen
- What is the best sunscreen for you this summer?
10. Coppertone SPORTS Continuous Sunscreen
A wonderful sunscreen for the active person who likes to get sweaty in the sand, on the basketball court, or evening during strenuous outdoor work.
Coppertone is a trusted name brand that has been protecting the masses from sunburns for decades.
This particular product comes in a handy spray can for easy application and provides 80-minutes of continuous protection.
Your skin will be protected from up to 98% of the sun’s most damaging UVA/UVB rays.
- The spray contains moisturizers and vitamin E to keep skin soft and nourished
- The formula is light and breathable on the skin
- A great spray for all outdoor activities
- Some reviewers say the product is greasy and sticky
- Comes in an aerosol can that isn’t environmentally friendly
9. Sun Bum SPF 50 8oz Lotion + Face Stick SPF 30
Sun Bum is a great up and coming product that has been around for a few years. In addition to having a great formula that protects the skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays, isn’t the packaging cute?
This product contains a broad spectrum formula with UVA/UVB protection and contains Parsol 1789.
You’ll love how this sunscreen holds up in the pool as it sports a water-resistant design.
Tested, approved, and recommended by The Skin cancer Foundation.
Safe for kids.
- Up to 80 minutes of continuous protection
- Oil-free formula that won’t clog your pores or cause breakouts
- Paraben and PABA free
- Some reviewers claim that the face stick causes acne
- Complaints of the lotion not holding up in the water as well as the product claims
8. Badger SPF 35 Clear Zinc Sport Sunscreen
Badger SPF 35 Clear Zinc Sport Sunscreen is a mineral-based formula that contains 98% organic ingredients.
You’ll love how easy to apply this lotion is and it blends well with your skin tone. No white residue!
Your skin will be protected from the sun while being moisturized by this fragrance-free product.
- Water resistant
- Up to 80 minutes of continuous SPF 35 protection
- Family and planet friendly
- Some reviewers claim the product leaves a slight white tinge to the darker skin
- The lotion is very thick
7. Bullfrog Water Sport Lotion SPF 50
When you need a sunscreen that is able to stand up to the test of an active lifestyle, Bullfrog is the product for you.
This fast absorbing, broad-spectrum sport sunscreen is an easy-to-apply SPF 50 lotion.
Did you know that this sunscreen is powered by Water armor Technology? It sure is and it gives you the ultimate water-resistant protection.
This lotion is extra-light, oil-free, and non-greasy.
- Goes on clear
- Quick drying
- Enriched with antioxidants and soothing plant extracts
- Not coral reef safe
- Some reviewers claim the lotion is to thick and irritates the skin
6. Safe Sea Anti-Jellyfish Sting SPF 40
Safe Sea SPF 40 sunblock has a real edge over other formulas. If you plan on swimming in the ocean this is the product to apply.
Not only does this lotion protect your skin from the sun it also protects you from jellyfish stings and sea lice.
The formula is scientifically proven and validated by medical and lab tests around the world and recommended in the National Geographic Adventure magazine.
- Dermatologically tested/hypoallergenic
- Highly water resistant and lasts up to 80 minutes
- Biodegradable and safe for aquatic life
- The bottle is only 4 oz. and does not last long
- Some reports of the lotion clogging the dispenser
5. Nurture My Body All-Natural SPF 32
No products found.
No products found.
Looking for an organic and safe sunscreen for your baby? You’ve found one!
Nurture My Body offers an all-natural SPF 32 formula that is free of harsh chemicals for baby’s skin.
This product is 100% certified organic and is fragrance-free.
You’ll love that this sunscreen only contains 8 ingredients which are gentle, safe, and soothing for your little one’s sensitive skin.
The only FDA-approved sunscreen with zinc oxide for infants under the age of 6 months old.
- Made with jojoba oil and shea butter to moisturize and protect skin
- The formula does not contain sulfates, parabens, oxybenzone, or octinoxate.
- Biodegradable sunscreen
- Some reviewers claim the lotion leaves skin greasy and tinged white
- Expensive for such a small bottle
No products found.
4. Little Sleepy Head Natural Daily Sunscreen
An easy-to-apply sunscreen that is formulated for the whole family.
You’ll love this affordable, dermatologist tested sunscreen that is fit for even the most sensitive skin types.
Thos product is comprised of botanical and natural ingredients that promote skin hydration and protection that won’t clog your pores.
- Hypoallergenic and tear-free formula
- Not tested on animals
- Paraben, PABA, and fragrance-free
- Some reviewers claim the lotion is thick and greasy
- Seems to tinge darker colored skin white
3. Cortex SunX SPF 30 Sunscreen Towelettes
Cortex SunX multi-purpose sunscreen towelettes are the perfect product to take with you on the go.
These towelettes serve a dual purpose that allows you to prepare your skin prior to applying the complimenting sunscreen lotion.
The towelette is dry and offers great absorbency.
Use the towelette first and then apply your sunscreen lotion for a non-greasy, water-resistant protection.
- Dual sun towelette and sunscreen system
- Towelette is dry
- Provides great outdoor protection
- A bit on the pricey side
- Can be inconvenient
2. Banana Boat Sunscreen Sport Performance
Trust the brand that you know when you pick up a two-pack of Banana Boat sport performance sunscreen.
This convenient sunscreen comes in a spray bottle that is highly water resistant and provides up to 8- minutes of continuous protection.
The spray goes on the skin clear and comes in an easy-grip can.
Enjoy the twist and lock spray can without the hassle of a cap.
- Comes in a twin pack
- Water resistant for up to 80 minutes of continuous use
- Contains fragrance
- The nozzle can become clogged with product
1. Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen
An excellent sun-protecting product, Sungoop! Everyday Sunscreen is oil-free and is perfect for both the face and body.
The formula is meant to provide the highest level of protection from UVA/UVB rays while defending the skin from photoaging and dehydration.
This product is non-comedogenic, kid-safe, and deliver 80 minutes of water resistance.
Made with clean ingredients and free of controversial materials.
- Super broad spectrum technology delivers the most advanced protection
- Great for active lifestyles
- Powered by potent antioxidant-rich Cellular Response Technology
- A bit on the pricey side
- Very strong smell
Hacks For Reminding Yourself To Add More Sunscreen
If you’re someone who regularly wears sunscreen, then you probably know the importance of putting it on. However, the problem isn’t applying the sunscreen, it’s reapplying it that’s the issue. When you’re out having a good time, it’s easy to forget about it. Here are several ways you can remind yourself to put on more sunblocking lotion:
Set A Timer
Setting a timer is one of the easiest ways to remind yourself—but let’s face it—it’s not that efficient. When you’re out on the beach having a blast, hours can fly by without you realizing it. Unfortunately, the sun doesn’t take breaks, and you’ll feel the burn the day after. Set your timer on the loudest ringtone so that you can hear it even when you’re a few feet away. Also, space the timers a few minutes apart. That way, if you miss the first one, you’ll hear the next.
Reapply Between Activities
Let’s say you and your friends are having a day at the pool and have plans to go to lunch before heading to a rooftop party. Make it your duty to apply sunscreen between activities. After the pool, apply SPF lotion and add more before you go to the rooftop. Reapplying before each daily activity is a great way to stay on top of your skincare needs.
If you’re out and about on a day that requires multiple applications of sunscreen, you’re probably hanging with friends. If that’s the case, you all should hold each other accountable and give each other reminders to reapply your SPF. If you have buddies to help you, things should be fine.
Put SPF Lotion In Your Bag
Chances are that if you’re cruising the town, you’ll have to reach into your purse or bag several times. If you put sunscreen inside, it’ll jog your memory to reapply. Nothing works quite like seeing the product right in front of you. Just make sure to actually put it on! Sunscreen wears off, and you don’t want to be exposed to harmful sun rays.
Put A Picture On Your Phone
If you’ve ever had sunburn, then you understand how agonizing it is. Putting a picture on your phone of a person with sunburn, or even an old photo of yourself will put you in remembrance of the pain. It’s a bit of an inconvenience to reapply SPF throughout the day, but maybe images of red, peeling skin will motivate you to put on more.
Use Sunscreen Spray
Sunscreen sprays aren’t the best, but they’re still effective. It’s no fun breaking out a bottle of SPF and constantly slathering yourself down while you’re trying to have an enjoyable time. Thankfully, sprays can quickly give you an extra coating without taking a lot of time. Try using the lotion before leaving the house and then spritz yourself for the remainder of the day.
Apply Sunscreen Powder
Who says you can’t look cute and protect your skin? One of the quickest ways to reapply your makeup and SPF is by using sunscreen powder. If you have oily skin, regular sunscreen lotion probably makes your face greasy. However, the powdered version is the perfect alternative.
What is the best sunscreen for you this summer?
We hope you have enjoyed this list of 10 sunscreens and have found one that works well for you and your needs.
From big brand names like Coppertone and Banana Boat that have been proven to work over the decades to lesser-known brands like Badger and Sun Bum, we are confident that each product listed will keep your skin safe, protected, and nourished while you play or work in the sun. essayon
One of the products listed that really stuck out to us is the Little Sleepy Head sunscreen. This is a whole-family product and is the only sunscreen containing zinc oxide that is safe for infants under the age of 6 months old. Definitely, a product to consider when you have a growing family.
If convenience is what you are looking for then consider some of the spray bottle options that we listed such as the Banana Boat Sport product. Easily protect the skin with this product by simply spraying.
Even though we like all of the products we’ve listed we had to pick a favorite. We went with Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen with Cellular Response Technology SPF 50.
This product is made with ingredients that are safe and chemical-free which makes it perfect for the entire family to use and even folks with sensitive skin. We know you’ll enjoy everything about this product including how thin it is which makes it super easy to apply.
Last update on 2022-05-25 at 23:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API