If you have ever been confronted with a mess that you know is going to take a lot of work to clean up, you may have wondered if there is a better way to get the job done. The average household vacuum can only pick up fine dust and dirt and cannot tackle anything wet or large. Using a mop to clean up liquids can be frustrating enough on its own, but if there are solids mixed in it is even more challenging. You want the top wet dry vacuum for any of your jobs.
A wet/dry vacuum can suck up both solids and liquids and can suck up solids that are surprisingly large and irregularly shaped. You can get your household messes taken care of whether they are liquid, solid, or both. A wet-dry vacuum can take the sting out of household spills onto the carpet by sucking the liquid right out of your carpet.
You can use as much carpet cleaner and water as you need to clean up the stain, and then use your wet-dry vac to suck all of that cleaning water out of your carpet as well, for a carpet that feels steam-cleaned. If you have pets, you will find almost unlimited uses for your wet dry vac in cleaning up after messes, after bath time, and after shedding.
If you make industrial-size messes, you may find a wet dry vac to be even more useful for your needs than for household needs. A powerful wet-dry vacuum can suck up debris left from drilling, breaking up interior walls, wood shavings, and many other bulky and irregular dry substances. A wet-dry vac can let you spray down your porch or shed floor without worrying about residual water, as it can simply be sucked up.
Whatever your intended use for your wet-dry vacuum, be careful to choose a model that is powerful enough to get the job done. In a tool like this, it is better to err on the size of power, as there are not many disadvantages in getting a more powerful wet-dry vacuum.
10. Tacklife Wet Dry Vacuum 5 Gallon, 5.5 Peak HP
This vacuum provides very strong suction and a high-performance motor 5.5 HP. This vacuum is multi-functional, allowing you to blow or suck wet or dry so you can achieve exactly the clean you need. This vacuum has a 5-gallon capacity so that you can suck up a lot of debris and liquid without having to empty the tank in between.
This vacuum utilizes buey technology to shut the power off automatically whenever the level in the bucket gets too high. This mower can work 20 feet away from a power source, with its 13.1-foot cord and 7-foot hose.
- Convenient folding handles
- 4 260 degree wheels allow for mobility
- 4 layer air filtration system
- Not easy to find replacement dust bags
- Attachments, especially for carpet, do not work well
9. PORTER-CABLE Wet/Dry Vacuum, 9 Gallon, 5 Horsepower
This convenient little wet-dry vacuum features a 5 HP motor to give you strong suction power. The hose is 6 ft long and features easy lock connections so that you can feel confident your hose won’t accidentally be pulled loose from the vacuum. There is a handle that is designed for the cord to wrap around so that you will have somewhere to put it when you are storing this vacuum.
This vacuum can suck or blow for multifunctional use. The switch is large and easy-to-see and is water resistant. The convenient handle on top means that you won’t have the handle sticking out of the sides when you store it.
- 9-gallon tank holds a lot of water and debris between emptying
- 5 HP motor for strong suction
- suck or blow for multifunctional use
- does not come with accessories
- does not pick up small dust and debris easily
8. Vacmaster VFB511B 0201 Beast Series Professional
This vacuum has excellent suction power and great airflow whether you need its help in your home, garage, or around the shop. The hose is integrated for a secure fit, and this vacuum comes with accessories as well as power cord organization to save space and provide convenient storage without losing anything. The 7-foot hose is kink resistant and with the vacuum provides over 25 feet of reach. You can easily convert this vacuum to a blower for multifunctional use.
- includes a crevice tool, car nozzle, extension wand, and other accessories
- convert to the blower for multifunctional use
- kink resistant hose
- accessories don’t store well in the provided compartment in the unit
- does not come with wheels
7. Shop-Vac 2021000 Micro Wet/Dry Vac
This Shop-Vac is able to be mounted on a wall so that it will be within convenient reach when you need it. It has a top carrying handle which folds down so that it will not be in the way during use or storage.
The lightweight and portable design of this little vacuum means you can easily take it anywhere with you to pick up wet or dry debris. It includes a tool bag to keep all of the attachments handy.
- filters and accessories included
- wall bracket for convenient storage
- very light and portable
- not as powerful as other models
- the plug is not very long
6. Vacmaster 2.5 Gallon, 2 Peak HP, Portable Wet/Dry Vacuum
This convenient little vacuum has a 4-foot hose for a good compromise between power and maneuverability. An 8-foot cord has a cord wrap for easy storage. This vacuum comes with several accessories including a utility nozzle, a crevice tool, and a filter.
Accessories can be stored on board for convenience during use and storage. You can easily convert this vacuum to a blower for variable use. It has an auto shut-off feature to prevent overflow.
- extremely small and portable design
- sucks or blows for versatile use
- 2.5-gallon holding tank will need to be emptied frequently
- not as powerful as larger vacuums
5. Shop-Vac 5989400 8 gallons 6.0 Peak HP
A stainless steel tank means that this heavy-duty little Shop-Vac will keep going for years to come. The positive lid latch system means that you won’t have to worry about leaks. The rear blower port can convert your vacuum into a powerful blower.
There are handles on both the top and sides of this vacuum for versatile portability. Onboard tool storage means that you won’t lose track of your tools. This tank features a drain so that you won’t have to lift the tank to drain the contents. You can just remove the cap and drain away.
- includes a range of accessories and filters
- easy to move wheeled dolly
- top and side handles for your convenience
- stainless steel makes it much heavier than competing vacuums
4. Craftsman 12004 6 Gallon 3 Peak HP Wet/Dry Vac
This powerful little mower utilizes a 3 Peak HP motor to make quick work of your wet or dry cleaning project. The 6-gallon collection tank is made of a durable but light polypropylene. This mower can easily and quickly convert to a blower for versatile use.
The on-off switch is dust sealed for easy control. This vacuum features a top carrying handle for your convenience. It has a 17-foot range with the 7-foot hose and 10ft cord.
- comes with accessories
- convert to the blower for versatile use
- top carrying handle for your convenience
- 3 Peak HP motor is not as powerful as competing motors
- 17 ft range is shorter than competing vacuums
3. Stanley Wet/Dry Vacuum, 6 Gallon, 4 Horsepower
This little vacuum offers powerful suction for heavy-duty cleaning. The rear blower port can instantly convert your vacuum into a powerful blower for versatile use.
It is set on swiveling castor wheels so that you can easily move this vacuum in any direction. The on-off switch has a waterproof design so that you won’t have to worry about splashing it. A 10ft power cord is built in with a cord wrap for convenient storage.
- powerful 4 horsepower engine
- swiveling castor wheels for mobility
- comes with accessories
- at around 13 pounds without liquid, this is heavier than some competing vacuums
- exhaust will throw dust if the filter is not used
2. Vacmaster 6 Gallon, 3 Peak HP, Stainless Steel Wet/Dry Vacuum
This futuristic-looking vacuum comes with multiple accessories including air control nozzle and extension ones, as well as multi-surface floor nozzles. These accessories can easily be stored on board so that you won’t have trouble keeping track of them.
The cord has a cord wrap for convenient storage. This vacuum is designed to be weather resistant so that it will keep performing for you no matter the weather for years to come. The top handle is balanced for easy portability.
- Comes with multiple accessories
- onboard storage for accessories so that you keep track of them
- cord wrap for Easy Storage
- weather resistant design
- 3 Peak horsepower is weak compared to other vacuums
- 16.2 lb empty it is heavier than competing vacuums
1. Vacmaster 12 Gallon, 5 Peak HP, Wet/Dry Vacuum
If you want a no-nonsense powerful wet-dry vacuum that can get the job done, this might be the vacuum for you. It comes with multiple accessories including extension wands and crevice tools as well as a specific nozzle for the blower.
The detachable blower is easy to release and packs 210 mph of blowing speed at a voltage of 120 volts. This vacuum features an extra large drainage port so that you can easily drain whatever is in the vacuum without having to lift it up. The top handle design is balanced for easy carrying.
- 12-gallon capacity means you won’t have to empty this vacuum much between jobs
- comes with multiple accessories
- extra large drainage port for easy emptying
- at nearly 26 lb empty, this will be too heavy for many people to lift when full
- 5 horsepower is comparable to cheaper and smaller vacuums
Which should you buy?
The Vacmaster 12 Gallon, 5 Peak HP, Wet/Dry Vacuum with Detachable Blower provides a large 12-gallon polypropylene tank so you won’t have to worry about changing out the tank so often. When you do need to change the tank, an extra large easy draining port will make this chore a breeze.
The blower is detachable for one-handed operation and is an efficient enough blower that you are buying two tools with one in this versatile machine. This wet-dry vacuum comes with lots of accessories including two extension wands, a card nozzle, and a crevice tool. It also features a special nozzle for the blower and an air and noise diffuser for quieter operation.