Even though a rolling pin is a simple tool for baking, they can be very beneficial. Not only can they help you get your dough to the desired thickness, but it can also help you spread it out so you can get more out of it, regardless of what it’s used for.
There are many things that you need to consider before purchasing a rolling pin. The first one is the surface of the rolling pin. You want to make sure the dough isn’t going to stick and it’s easy to clean.
The next is the weight because you don’t want one that is too heavy for you to handle for a decent amount of time. The third thing is how it moves. You want a rolling pin that can be easily used and that it’s comfortable to use.
The next one has to do with how flat and smooth it gets the dough. You don’t want to have a rolling pin that puts all kinds of dents or holes in your dough. The final one is how easy is it to store. You don’t want a huge rolling pin that you can’t put away easily.
The top 10 rolling pins for 2018 are discussed below.
10. VonShef Granite Tapered French Rolling Pin
This French-style rolling pin has tapered sides and is 14 inches long. It is made from natural granite and has a surface that is non-stick. It is naturally cool so it resists heat transfer.
In addition, it is non-porous, which means it doesn’t have any tiny holes to let anything pass through and get stuck.
The rolling pin itself is about 5 pounds. This is great because you don’t have to worry about your arms getting tired quickly and you can do what you need to do. Since this pin is unsealed, it is not dishwasher safe, so it needs to be washed by hand.
- It’s lightweight
- It’s heat resistant
- It’s non-stick
- It’s unsealed so there could be a higher chance of chipping
- It has to be hand-washed
9. J.K. Adams 12-Inch-by-2-3/4-Inch Maple Wood
This 12-inch American-style rolling pin is made from maple. It also has handles that are easy to grip, a steel axle that is full length, and bearings that are self-lubricating.
This rolling pin was made in Vermont, USA and has a manufacturers lifetime warranty. In addition, this pin has to be hand washed and dried as soon as it’s rinsed.
Another great thing about this rolling pin is that the handles roll independently from the actual barrel, so it’s easier and quicker to roll out your dough.
This pin is not non-stick so make sure you put a little flour on the barrel before rolling your dough so it doesn’t rip and stick.
- The handles roll independently from the barrel
- The bearings are self-lubricating so you don’t have to worry about manually oiling them
- It has a lifetime warranty
- It has to be washed by hand and dried immediately
- It isn’t non-stick so if you don’t use something on it your dough will stick
8. Juvale Adjustable Rolling Pin
The barrel of this rolling pin is 17 inches long and comes with 4 rings to adjust the thickness. The rings range from 1/16-3/8 inches. The pin is plastic with a silicone cover that is safe to use with food and BPA free.
In addition, it has wooden handles that promote comfort and good grip. The wood is smooth and sturdy. The fact that it’s only a few pounds is great because you don’t have to worry about it being too heavy and your arms get tired quickly.
Make sure you hand wash this rolling pin to ensure that it is completely thing. You can then let it air dry.
- You can adjust the thickness
- The handles are strong and comfortable
- It is non-stick
- The silicone coating might come off after a lot of use
- It isn’t really recommended for a dishwasher
7. Professional French Rolling Pin for Baking
This French-style rolling pin is made of stainless steel and has a very slightly tapered end. Not only is it smooth, but it’s also nonporous so you don’t have to worry about anything getting left behind.
This rolling pin doesn’t have handles so it’s a little bit easier to control the pin and put more or less pressure where it needs to be just by using your palms.
You can put it in the freezer to help prevent the dough from getting warm and sticky. Since its metal, it doesn’t absorb colors, odors, or flavors. This makes it much more hygienic than a wooden pin.
- It’s very lightweight
- It’s hygienic
- It’s non-porous
- Since its metal, it might be a little slippery
- It’s a little thicker than other traditional rolling pins
6. Pro Kitchen Adjustable Rolling Pin Pin
This rolling pin comes with rings that are: 2mm, 4mm, 6mm, and 10mm. These are used to change the thickness of the dough you are rolling. It is also-stick and has guides printed right on the barrel.
The pin itself is made from silicone that is safe to use with food and the rings are made from a plastic that is safe and environmentally friendly.
This is dishwasher safe but should be washed by hand to get the best results. The pin is very lightweight so you don’t have to worry about your arms getting heavy and having to stop what you’re doing.
- It’s non stick
- It is lightweight
- The thickness can be changed
- The ends could pop up while rolling out the dough
- It could cause lines in your dough because the seams can be felt underneath the silicone
5. Joseph Joseph 20085 Adjustable Rolling Pin
This is a rolling pin that is made from beech wood. It also has rings so you can adjust the thickness. The rings come in 4 sizes: 1/16, 1/6, 1/4, and 3/8 inches. In addition, there are measurements printed right on the barrel.
The pin is 16.5 inches long and has a diameter of 2.5 inches. This rolling pin should be hand washed to get the best results. It also should not be submerged in water and needs to be dried as soon as it is rinsed.
Another great thing about this product is that it is pretty lightweight so you can be sure that you can get everything done at one time.
- The thickness can be adjusted
- It’s lightweight
- It has measurements printed right on the barrel
- Since it can’t be submerged, you can’t let it soak
- It needs to be washed by hand every time
4. Fox Run 4050 Marble Rolling Pin
This rolling pin is 18 inches long with the handles. It’s made from 100% real marble and the surface is smooth. It also is non-stick so you don’t have to worry about your dough ripping or getting messed up.
The bearings are nylon so they really help everything roll very smoothly. In addition, the rolling pin might be a different color than the picture because the marble is completely natural.
The pin is about 4 pounds so it isn’t super lightweight but it’s also not too heavy. This makes it easier to get all of your dough ready at one time.
- It’s non-stick
- The bearings are nylon so it rolls a lot easier
- The wooden handles are comfortable and sturdy
- If it gets cuts, scrapes, or gouges, then your dough will show all of that
- Since it’s marble, you have to be careful with it or it can end up getting chips
3. New Star Foodservice 37524 Extra Heavy Duty
This 18-inch American-style rolling pin is made from aluminum. The barrel itself is on an axle so it’s easier to roll. It’s restaurant quality so it’s a little heavier than other rolling pins.
You don’t want to get the ball bearings wet since they are metal, so the best cleaning method is to wash by hand without submerging in water. You can set it out and let it air dry.
One thing to keep in mind is that since it’s 18 inches, it might be a little difficult to store since it’s quite a bit bigger than other rolling pins.
- The surface is smooth and non-porous
- The axle helps the pin roll easier
- It’s heavy enough to get the job done but lightweight enough to handle easily
- It’s 18 inches so it might be kind of hard to put away easily
- Since you don’t want to get the bearings wet, it needs to be washed by hand
2. Donxote Hand Crafted Design French Rolling Pin
This French-style rolling pin is made from beech wood and is environmentally friendly. The pin is 15 inches long and has silicone rings that let you choose the thickness of the dough.
The beech is great because it’s a harder, more durable, and resistant to corrosion type of wood. In addition, it is FDA approved and safe to use with food because it is hygienic, as well as antibacterial.
It is non-stick and has a full money back guarantee. This rolling pin needs to be greased every month and it must be hand washed and stored in a dry and ventilated area.
- It’s environmentally friendly
- It’s FDA approved
- You can use the rings to adjust the thickness
- You have to oil it every month
- It has to be washed by hand
1. Restaurantware RWT0231 Met Lux 13″ Aluminum
This 13-inch rolling pin is made out of aluminum and is a heavy duty product. The handles are smooth yet easy to grip so you can easily roll out any type of dough you need to.
The handles roll independently from the barrel so it’s very easy to handle. One thing to keep in mind is that any scratches or gouges that might get in the rolling pin will end up being imprinted in your dough.
This rolling pin should be washed by hand in order to make sure everything gets cleaned thoroughly. While it’s hard, stainless steel can rust and corrode so make sure you dry the pin after washing to help combat this.
- Easy to grip
- The handles move independently from the barrel
- It’s a good size to roll any type of dough
- It needs to be washed by hand
- It needs to be dried as soon as it’s cleaned
Which Rolling Pin Should You Buy?
No matter what type of dough you’re trying to roll, any of these rolling pins are a great choice. With that being said, each of these has benefits for certain situations over the others.
For example, if you need varying thickness, then a rolling pin with adjustable rings is best. If you need a heavy duty product then one of the heavier ones would be the best!
For me, the top pick is the Restaurantware Rolling Pin. This rolling pin offers very low maintenance, less effort due to its heavier weight, and allows you to bake all day without being tired. I find myself being willing to work with thicker dough, which enables me to enjoy baking and not be sore afterward.
Despite that, any of these rolling pins would make a great addition to your kitchen and make your baking experience much easier and more efficient. If you are in the market for a great rolling pin in 2018, then check these out and get the one that meets your needs!
Last update on 2021-04-14 at 23:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API