A knife sharpener is an important tool for your kitchen. Having sharp knives can make the difference between a pleasant food preparation experience and one that will be frustrating and possibly even dangerous. Dull knives are more likely to slip and cause a cut than sharp knives. This list will help you find the best knife sharpener for your kitchen.
Your cutting surface can make a big difference in how quickly your knives become dull, but even with an efficient cutting surface, your knives will eventually become dull. For the best experience and food preparation every time, it is best to sharpen knives with every couple of uses or every time you do extensive food preparation.
To make it more likely that you will use the sharpener every time, choose a model that is easy to use and convenient. A model that fits conveniently on your countertop or is handy in a drawer will make it more likely that you will casually pull it out and sharpen before using your knife. It is best to make knife sharpening a habit if you want to have the best cutting experience every time.
Most sharpeners used today are built with a guide on the Whetstone to help you achieve the perfect sharpening experience. It is a considerable skill to learn to sharpen a knife using a traditional Whetstone, but very dedicated chefs and food preparers swear by a traditional Whetstone over a guided model. A ceramic stick sharpener is another option that requires a good deal of skill to use properly, but can result in very fast and efficient sharpening.
If your ambition is to learn to use a traditional Whetstone or ceramic stick sharpener, it may not be a bad idea to have a guided knife sharpener in the home as well to use while you are learning and before you have mastered the skill.
10.KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener, Black
If you want the most affordable knife sharpener that will get the job done, this is the tool for you. A coarse side allows you to sharpen dull and damaged knives, while the fine grade side polishes your knife and provides a quick touch-up before cutting. The grip is patented for comfort.
This sharpener allows for sharpening on either the edge of the table or on the countertop so that the tip of larger knives won’t touch the surface of the counter. This unit is compact enough to fit comfortably in a drawer so that you will think to grab it every time you need to sharpen your knives.
- very affordable at under $6
- comes in three fun colors
- use on countertop or edge of the table
- not as effective as more expensive models
- does not provide much of a hand grip so your hand will be close to the blade
9. Kitchen Knife Sharpener Sharpens Hones Polishes
This sleek looking knife sharpener will look like modern art on your counter but can sharpen your knives very quickly. The independent spring action arms are made of a Tungsten Carbide that will hone your edge to sharpen both smooth and serrated knives better than a whetstone. This knife sharpener can sharpen serrated, beveled, and standard knives with one easy motion. It should not be used with ceramic blades.
- sleek and modern looking design
- sharpens all sorts of knives
- countertop model will remind you to use it
- the bulky body will take up room on your counter
- may not be as effective as a traditional Whetstone or more expensive sharpener
8. 10 Inch Steel Knife Sharpening Rod – Utopia Kitchen
This straightforward 10-inch steel rod can sharpen all sorts of knives. It is made of carbon steel and plated with nickel chrome and provides a fine surface that will prevent the cutting edge from becoming damaged while sharpening. The sharpening rod is easy to use with an ergonomic handle that makes it easy to keep hold of it during use. The 10-inch model is convenient to store in your drawer or in most knife blocks so you will think to use it.
- small and portable
- sharpens all kinds of knives
- ergonomic handle
- requires some skill to use properly
- takes some time to sharpen knives
7. PriorityChef Knife Sharpener for Straight and Serrated Knives
This high-quality knife sharpener will keep any straight edge steel knife sharp. The design is ergonomic with a two-stage sharpening system so you can quickly sharpen dull knives and then give them a razor edge with the finer setting. The non-slip cushion on the bottom makes a stable base that won’t slip. This is the easiest sort of sharpener to use, as you can simply position the blade on the sharpening slot and pull it through. It will automatically adjust the angle for the perfect sharpening.
- ergonomic hold that will prevent you from cutting your hand
- non-slip cushion will prevent a device from sliding on the counter
- countertop design may cause large knives to cut the surface of your counter
- people with large hands will find their hand still uncomfortably close to the knife slot
6. Kitchen Knife Sharpener – 3-Stage Knife Sharpening Tool
This sharpener has a three-step sharpening system, as opposed to the standard two. The first slot can repair and straighten damaged blades, the second slot sharpens to an exact edge, and the third slot fine tunes for a sleek polish and sharply honed the edge. The ergonomic handle of this block allows you to use it easily whether you are left or right handed.
The guided design makes this knife sharpener extremely easy to use, you can just rest the knife in the slot and pull it through. A cut-resistant glove is included with this knife sharpener so you can feel even safer.
- cut-resistant glove included
- the high design makes it less likely that you will cut the countertop
- The 3-stage system over the usual 2
- still can only be used on a countertop so may hit counter if you have a very large knife
- many users will not want to use the glove, and the design puts your hand quite close to the blade
5. Whetstone Knife Sharpening Stone | Waterstone Knife Sharpener 1
This traditional Whetstone will have you sharpening in style while providing a design that makes it easier for beginners to use. The kit comes with a double-sided Whetstone, as well as a bamboo base to hold it safely so that you won’t have to have your hand anywhere near the cutting surface but can use both hands to safely guide the knife along the Whetstone.
The two sides of the sharpener have different grits so that you can quickly provide a sharp edge and then polish it to a very fine razor sharp finish
- bamboo holder provided to securely hold Whetstone in place
- double-sided Whetstone for sharpening dull knives and honing the edge
- attractive traditional design
- whetstones take skill to use properly
- holder does not lift Whetstone very far off of your counter, so if you are unskilled you may damage your counter
4. Work Sharp WSCMB Combo Knife Sharpener, Consistent & Precise
f you are looking for a no-nonsense sharpener that will get the job done quickly and easily, this may be the right tool for you. The sharpening guide is fixed and features a flexible abrasive belt to create the perfect cutting edge every single time. This knife sharpener can sharpen every knife, even serrated knives. The abrasive belt and ceramic cone last a long time and provide a cool cut and convex edge that will cut better and last longer than a traditional flat ground edge.
- rapid and extremely effective sharpening for every knife
- safe design means you won’t be drawing your knife quickly by your hand over and over
- convex edge cuts better than knives ground with a traditional Whetstone
- expensive for knife sharpener at around $50
- the bulky and unattractive design is better suited to the tool shed than the kitchen
3. LINKYO Electric Knife Sharpener, Kitchen Knives Sharpening System
This knife sharpening system is simple and safe so you can take the anxiety out of sharpening your knives. The attractive countertop design can fit conveniently into your kitchen so you will think to use it every time you prepare food.
The automatic blade positioning system keeps the knife in the ideal position and the heavy-duty non-slip suction cup feet make sure the sharpener will not wiggle no matter how much you put pressure on it during use. The sharpener utilizes 2-stage sharpening to reshape the angle and sharpen roughly and to hone and polish the blade. Metal shards and filings are effortlessly caught in a receptacle.
- works to automatically adjust everything so that you can get a perfect sharpening without having to think about it
- suction cup grip will make sure this knife sharpener doesn’t move
- may grind up knives quicker than competing sharpening systems
- countertop design will take up room in your kitchen
2. Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener – Fast, Easy, Repeatable
This tool packs sharpening power that can sharpen not only every knife in your kitchen but most of the tools in your shop as well. This can sharpen straight blades, curved blades Tanto, or any other blade. Even ceramic blades can be sharpened with the optional diamond belt.
Coarse, medium and fine grits are available to repair damaged blades, sharpen general knives, and finally hone knives and sharpen serrations. Sharpening guides are interchangeable so that you can choose the perfect guide for the tool you are sharpening.
- extremely versatile design can sharpen every sharp thing you own
- interchangeable sharpening guides are easy to use
- the sturdy and safe design gives you worry free sharpening
- expensive tool at around $70
- the bulky design clearly meant for the tool shed and not the kitchen
1. Chef’sChoice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Professional
This 3-stage sharpener can give you the kind of precision control that will provide professional results. The first and second stages offer the kind of sharpening you would expect from a high-grade knife sharpener, while the third stage provides a revolutionary ultrasharp polished bevel on your knife that will last longer and sharpen better than knives sharpened with traditional Whetstones.
In stages 1 and 2, 100% diamond abrasives are used for fast and effective sharpening. This device can be used for Chef’s knives, serrated knives, or any other knife you may want to sharpen. It is extremely easy to use and the resilient feet will safely hold it onto your work surface.
- extremely easy to use and versatile design to safely sharpen all of your knives
- countertop design looks good in your kitchen and will remind you to use it
- achieves an ultrasharp polished bevel that is better than traditional whetstones
- the large design will take up a lot of room on your countertop
- sturdy feet do not suction, so there is some chance of slipping while using this device
- at from 100 to $150, this is extremely expensive for a kitchen tool
Here’s Why You Need A Knife Sharpener
Knives are essential tools that everyone needs in their kitchen—you can’t really function without them. Almost every meal requires a knife whether you’re prepping the meat and vegetables before cooking or you’re cutting a steak while eating. With that said, here are a few reasons why you need a knife sharpener:
Makes Cutting Easier
This might seem like a no-brainer, but if you’ve ever tried cutting something with a dull knife, then you know how difficult it is. If you have a drawer full of dull knives, there’s no way you can slice your food properly. If it’s summer and you want to slice a watermelon or pineapple, that’s going to take a sharp knife. Plus, if your cutting utensils are dull, you can’t even cut through a tomato, and definitely not large vegetables or tough cuts of meat. However, if you have a knife sharpener on hand, a few swipes will get your blade crisp in no time. There’s no need to suffer through with slicing tools that don’t work when alternative options are available.
Helps You Keep Your Knives Longer
When you first get your home, and you buy a knife set, it should last you for quite some time. Knives are one of those kitchen utensils that hold up well against wear and tear, and you shouldn’t have to replace it very often. However, you can expect the blades to get dull after a while. But just because the blades aren’t sharp anymore, that doesn’t mean you should have to toss the knives out. Having a sharpener fixes the blade and makes it like new again.
Speaking of tossing out your utensils, having a knife sharpener helps you save money by not needing to buy new knives. If your cutting tools aren’t slicing properly, your first thought might be to purchase more knives, but that’s not necessary. As long as they are still intact and the handles aren’t loose, you don’t need to get new equipment. Simply buy a knife sharpener, and you’re good to go.
Better Food Presentation
If you’re preparing a romantic dinner or cooking a meal for some people you want to impress, you need a good knife. If you use a dull one, your vegetables will be cut in an odd, jagged form, and your meat won’t be sliced nicely. Wisconsin is a beautiful place to live, and is filled with unique properties. If you experience Water Damage Restore Milwaukee make sure to get the situation fixed before your real estate sustains permanent damage. Believe it or not, food that is cut properly helps to give the meal a better presentation. You want to prepare dishes that look and taste good.
Final Thoughts On Using A Knife Sharpener
The majority of people have knives in their kitchen, but not everyone has a knife sharpener. However, both are equally as important. If you don’t want to struggle with chopping your veggies, having a sharpener on hand is the simplest solution. Thankfully, they’re inexpensive and don’t take up lots of space in your kitchen.
Which should you buy?
If you are sick of messing around with dull knives or feeling worried about cutting yourself while sharpening them, and have not mastered the skill of Whetstones or ceramic stick and don’t want to learn, you should invest in a high-quality knife sharpener that will get the job done for years to come easily and safely.
The Chef’s Choice 120 Diamond Hone EdgeSelect Professional Electric Knife Sharpener for 20-Degree Edges Diamond Abrasives Precision Guides for Straight and Serrated Knives Made in USA, 3-Stage, White provides professional results with Incredible ease in a convenient countertop model that will have you sharpening your knives effortlessly for years to come.
Last update on 2021-04-20 at 09:04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API