Our cats are part of the family. What is the Best Flea Control Products for Cats? Can I get a “meow” to that? Keeping them healthy and comfortable is of the utmost importance. We want our furry friends to be around for a long time.
One of the most important aspects of being a reliable cat owner is providing your feline with adequate flea protection. Fleas can be harmful to cats as well as the other pets and people in your home.
You want to make sure your kitty is flea-free, happy, and healthy. The right flea prevention product can make all the difference. Know that not all flea inhibitors are made the same. What works well for one cat may not produce the same results for another. It’s a game of trial and error, really.
So, how do you know which flea products to choose? Well, we’ve done the hard work of searching for the best flea prevention products for cats on Amazon, for you. In fact, we’ve created a list of 10 top products for you to browse through.
You’ll see brands like PetArmor and Bayer. We want you to have access to the best possible choices.
Are you ready to get started? Great! Let’s check out the list.
10. Arava Flea & Tick Prevention
If you’re looking for top-of-the-line flea and tick prevention for your cat, you’ve found it right here.
This flea medicine has been designed to not only kill off existing fleas but also repel future pests from taking root.
This flea medication uses the natural power of essential oils to repel fleas and ticks from your cat. These oils are safe for your pet.
- The soothing scent for humans, horrible for pests
- 100% chemical-free and FDA approved
- Provides maximum flea and tick control
- Treatment must be repeated often for outdoor cats
- A reviewer reported skin irritation and hair loss on her cat
9. Wondercide Flea and Tick
This spray is truly a wonder repellant against fleas and ticks. Not only does it kill adults pests but it stops their lifecycle dead in their tracks. It is a safe and effective alternative to monthly pesticides such as drops, pills, bombs, dips, and other chemical-laden sprays.
You’ll delight in the fresh peppermint scent and so will your cat! There is no clove in this the formula so your cat will be safe from essential oils that he cannot metabolize.
This spray also repels pesky mosquitos.
- Non-staining formula
- Safe for all cats of all ages and sizes. Can be used on dogs, too
- 100% naturally derived and made in the USA
8. Elanco Animal Health
This product is described as being a “gentle one-size-fits-all” flea treatment. It is a topical solution that will rid fleas from your cat, quickly. It is a great product for multi-cat families.
Within 30 minutes of application, fleas start to die and the effects last for an entire month.
This product is a great option for kittens and cats that are 8 weeks of age and older and weigh at least 1.8 pounds.
- Cheristin Flea Treatment for cats killed 100% of fleas within 12 hours in a controlled study
- Extremely easy to use
- Quick-drying formula
- Some cats can experience undesirable side effects like vomiting and itching, but these are rare
- One reviewer claims the product smells like “petrochemical”
7. Wondercide Flea and Tick
Wondercide is a safe and effective way to keep fleas, ticks, and mosquitos away from your cat. The formula of the product is safe and natural in comparison to pesticides, bombs, drops, and other products.
Check out what the manufacturer has to say about this spray, “Wondercide for Pets + Home kills the full flea lifecycle! Only 5% of flea lifecycle is adult, which means 95% are in the egg, larvae, and pupae stages on your pet, in your home, and in your yard. Pets + Home kills adult fleas, eggs, larvae, and pupae as well as ticks, mosquitoes, mites, mange and more. Don’t poison your pet to protect them – use Wondercide”.
Another perk of using Wondercide is how shiny and soft it leaves your cat’s coat. The ingredients are super nourishing. This holistic blend is veterinarian recommended and safe around children.
- Made in the USA using the highest quality of ingredients
- No DEET, pyrethrins, pyrethroids, or chemical pesticides
- Can be used directly on the cat, bedding, home surroundings
- A reviewer claims the product is “not a long-term solution” but works in the short term
- Some reviewers claim the product didn’t work at all but other’s adamantly say that it did
6. Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Wipes
We absolutely adore these Vet’s Best Flea and tick wipes. They truly make protecting your cat from fleas and ticks a breeze! Simply wipe your pet down with the cloths and there you go!
Not only do these wipes repel fleas and ticks but nasty old mosquitos, too.
You’ll be amazed by the natural formula made up of plant-based ingredients that include essential oils. Please use this product with caution around cats as it contains eugenol which is a derivative of cloves.
- Wipes are ultra soft in texture and very easy to use, especially for targeted applications
- You may use the wipes directly on your cat (or dog) as long as they are 12 weeks or older
- Made in America
- Some adverse effects have been reported in cats that come in contact with peppermint and clove oil
- Some users claim the wipes didn’t make much difference in pest prevention
5. Catego Flea and Tick Control
This product is made specifically for cats. Unlike some of the other products mentioned, Catego is not able to be used on dogs. We kind of like this because it means this product is a targetted formula with cats in mind.
The product comes in vials so you never have to measure any medicine. You always have the perfect amount at your fingertips, as long as your cat is at least 8 weeks old and weighs over 1.5 pounds.
Catego is extremely fast acting and kills fleas within 6 hours. Other products can take up to 12.
- Catego kills fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, and chewing lice for 30 days
- Proven active ingredients; Dinotefuran, Fipronil, and Pyriproxyfen
- The formula is non-greasy, quick drying, and is small in volume; ensuring no medicine is wasted
- Some complaints about the consistency of the product
- A few reviewers felt that the product did not work, however, many others felt that it did
4. TUZZE Flea and Tick Collar
Tuzze takes a bit of a different approach to flea and tick prevention for your cat as it comes in the form of a collar. No creams, pills, or drops to deal with. Simply place the collar around your cat’s neck and he has protection from pests for 8 months.
Check out what the manufacturer has to say about this flea collar for cats, “This cats flea and tick collar can prevent your pet from fleas, itches, and ticks for 8 months. It would be definitely an economical way rather than spend much time and money buying shampoo or visiting your vet often”.
This collar comes in multiple sizes between 7 to 13 inches. You can easily cut off an excessive length to adjust the size.
- The collar is very easy to use
- The collar is waterproof; even if the collar gets wet it’ll still work properly
- Lifetime manufacturers guarantee
- Some users claim they have trouble with the buckle on the collar
3. Flea Away All Natural
Flea Away is an innovative product that provides supreme flea protection for your cat. This product also deters ticks and mosquitos, too.
The formula is non-toxic and safe for both cats and dogs. There are no chemicals or harmful residues that would pose a threat to your pet.
- The formula is made with a special mix of healthy vitamins
- Pests are naturally repelled before they even think of biting your cat
- Helps ward off allergic reactions associated with flea bites
- Needs to be used for 30 days before pills work at full potential
- One user claims the product made her pets scratch themselves uncontrollably
2. PETARMOR Plus
PetArmor has been a leader in pet care products for a very long time. This formula is a trusted source for flea and tick prevention for cats. It has been formulated with Fipronil which is known to be a powerful force against pests.
This product will kill and prevent fleas for up to 3o days after application. It will even kill flea eggs and larvae.
You’ll be happy to know that PetArmor is of vet-quality and will begin killing fleas and ticks after 24-hours of application.
- Works by breaking the flea cycle and killing eggs and larvae
- Comes with 6 waterproof topical applications
- Kills ticks that are known to transmit Lyme Disease
- A reviewer claims the product is good but tends to wear off quicker than 30 days
1. Bayer Advantage II
Bayer Advantage is one of the best products that we’ve come across for flea and tick prevention. It kills fleas on contact unlike some of the other products that can take hours and even days to start working. Fleas don’t even have to bite your cat in order to die.
This product works as a monthly topical treatment and provides multi-stage flea control that effectively breaks the flea life cycle.
- The product is very easy to apply and can be used on kittens and cats that are 8 weeks old and up
- The product is waterproof
- Veterinarian recommended
- One consumer claims the product left a burn mark and hair loss on her cat
Why Preventing Fleas And Ticks Is Important
Fleas and ticks can cause more than just itching and irritation—which is why it’s crucial to not only control them but prevent them as well. If you didn’t know, fleas and ticks can cause other health problems for your pet if left untreated. Here is some of the damage that fleas and ticks can create for your cat:
Unfortunately, if your pet accidentally swallows a flea by chewing or licking on their skin, they can develop a tapeworm. Tapeworms are parasites that inhabit your cat’s intestinal tract and take away your pet’s nutrients. If your cat has a tapeworm, do not wait to get it treated. And if you can, try your best to prevent your cat from getting fleas and ticks to reduce the chance of possible tapeworms.
Fleas are parasites that suck on your cat’s blood, which causes them to become anemic. If you notice that they have a low body temperature, lethargy, or pale gums that could be a sign of anemia. Also, if you have a kitten or a sick cat, anemia can lead to more severe illnesses. Again, in order to prevent this, it is best to protect your pet against fleas.
Bartonella is often called the cat scratch fever. The disease comes about when your cat is bitten by a flea that has parasites. The symptoms of the disease are diarrhea, vomiting, fever, seizures, and swelling of the lymph nodes. Bartonella is a very serious illness, and you should take your cat to the vet as soon as you notice symptoms.
Flea allergy dermatitis
Usually, flea bites cause small bumps on your pet’s skin. However, if your cat is allergic to the flea’s saliva, they will continually scratch the area and cause swelling on the skin. Therefore, the best way to stop to prevent your cat from being irritated is to use a flea and tick preventive medication.
How To Prevent Fleas And Ticks
Check your cat for fleas and ticks on a regular basis. If you find any culprits, there are several ways to get rid of them. You can use topical insecticidal sprays, shampoos, or oral insecticide. However, these methods are short-term. They will kill fleas and ticks, but they do not stop them from returning. If you are unsure of which products will be best for your cat, consult your veterinarian. Furthermore, cats should stay indoors. Your pet is less likely to get fleas and ticks if they remain inside. Unfortunately, if you have dogs and cats living together, your cat could still get exposed to fleas and ticks.
Final thoughts On Preventing Fleas And Ticks
Although fleas and ticks are coming common, the condition should be taken seriously. As you can see, there are many side effects to not treating them. Fortunately, there are several products available to soothe your cat’s irritation. If you routinely check your cat and create a regiment for killing and preventing fleas and ticks, your pet should be fine. After looking over this list, which product do you think is best for your pet?
Why We Chose Bayer Advantage as Our Top Product…
We are pretty impressed by all the flea prevention products for cats on this list but there was just something that stuck out about Bayer Advantage. Unlike all of the other products, Bayer was the only formula that killed flea and ticks on contact.
All of the other products took hours to days to begin working. However, we still recommend those products for various reasons, especially the TUZZE Flea and Tick Collar due to its convenience and 8-month lifespan.